Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Do You Hear Chirping?

No I'm not talking about crickets, though that might be a good future topic. I guess I need to add some context. I like to run. Actually I hate to run, but I'm not horrible at it so I keep doing it. I have a watch I wear when I run that allows me to set pace targets based on the type of run I'm doing. When I'm outside of my pace zone it chirps at me. The chirping has been a great way to make sure that the miles I put in are quality miles at just the right intensity. It's made me more productive as a runner. In fact, It's helped me to improve my overall performance, while allowing me to run less.

On a recent run I started thinking about the chirping, then work, then chirping, then work (I don't run with headphones. When you're alone inside your head on a run, this stuff can happen). We tend to do our best work when we're in a zone. Think of a zone as having an upper and a lower limit, just like my running zones. If I run too slow, I don't get the same quality of workout. If I run too fast, I increase the risk of over-training and injury.

Relating this back to work, if we're thinking (distracted by) about too many things, we don't have the ability to reach even the low end of the zone and we don't produce our best product. We still produce, but not at the level or quality that we could if we could have set other things aside even for a short time. In the corporate world this is all too common. We have so many responsibilities, so many stakeholders and so many demands on our time it becomes difficult to even know what's worth setting aside time for and focusing on.

What about the top end of the zone? What's the upper limit and why does it matter? I think the zone is bound by time and stress. The longer you're in the zone, the more you need to recover. Similarly, the more stress you're under, the harder it is to stay in the zone.

I'm not about to say anything you haven't read or heard before, but am hoping that it helps some folks think about this in a slightly different way. Here are some thoughts on how to reach and stay in the zone.

Reaching the Zone 
1. Set aside time to really focus on accomplishing things without distraction. I like to make sure I've set aside 3 to 4 windows of about 90 minutes.
2. Prioritize - Focus on what's Important and Not Urgent whenever possible (Covey fans, I warned you, nothing you haven't heard here!) The important and Urgent stuff always finds it's way to your desk.
3. Take breaks. Too much time in the zone drains your energy and creativity. Stand up, take a walk, talk to a coworker.
4. Realize you can't be in the zone all the time and can't do everything at once.

Dealing with Stress
Don't confuse stress with pressure. We should all feel pressure. Pressure is good. Too much stress is unhealthy. When it comes to stress I don't have a one size all prescription, but here are some things that have helped me.

1. You can be any way you want on the inside - I read this years ago and it's helped me in so many pressure filled situations. There will be times when you are filled with self-doubt or even a sense of not belonging. There's a scene in the movie "The Avengers" when Captain America tells Bruce Banner it's a good time to get angry. Banner replies "That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry" as he morphs in to the Hulk and lays the smack down on a giant alien grub. That line really resonated with me. That's my secret, I'm always nervous.....and I bet most of us are, especially in tough and uncertain situations.
2. Realize that everything is temporary. Something that's a big deal today won't be a big deal forever. It probably won't even be a big deal next week.
3. Work to live. Don't live to work. - Burning the candle at both ends catches up with most people personally and professionally. We need limits and we need to leave the office.
4. Something something something hobby. Doesn't need to be arts and crafts. You don't need to learn how to weave baskets. What I'm talking about here is something that you can be completely present with and not think about work for a period of time. Could be something as easy and fun as building Lego towers with your toddler.....or building Lego towers by yourself. Up to you.




2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Jamie. Not sure how you run without headphones.....Pearl Jam will make it all better.

    ReplyDelete